How do you start your morning?
Let’s Start with Benjamin Franklin Today
He was always trying to better himself. We know he wasn’t perfect, but he did help us a lot. One of the many things he came up was a planner where he would have blocked times to do everything.
His morning question:
What Good Shall I do This Day?
What good have I done today?
Ben Franklin would start his day around 5am and ask himself strong questions and fill his mind with positive words. Long before a to-do list app existed, he was providing people with a daily schedule. He even gave himself 13 Virtues that he needed to live by, this was part of his daily routine – The 13 Virtues were affirmations for him.
1. Temperance: Eat not to dullness and drink not to elevation.
2. Silence: Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself. Avoid trifling conversation.
3. Order: Let all your things have their places. Let each part of your business have its time.
4. Resolution: Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve.
5. Frugality: Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself: i.e. Waste nothing.
6. Industry: Lose no time. Be always employed in something useful. Cut off all unnecessary actions.
7. Sincerity: Use no hurtful deceit. Think innocently and justly; and, if you speak, speak accordingly.
8. Justice: Wrong none, by doing injuries or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
9. Moderation: Avoid extremes. Forebear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
10. Cleanliness: Tolerate no uncleanness in body, clothes or habitation.
11. Chastity: Rarely use venery but for health or offspring; Never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another’s peace or reputation.
12. Tranquility: Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
13. Humility: Imitate Jesus and Socrates
The point of this today is that success leaves clues. There is no need to reinvent your morning routine, what to do has been around for hundreds of years. You just need to apply it to your life. Periodically I ask myself, “How does Tristan Ahumada start his day” I am always reevaluating.